The Secret Abundance of the Desert

 



Super­fi­cial­i­ty is the curse of our age. The des­per­ate need today is not for a greater num­ber of intel­li­gent peo­ple, or gift­ed peo­ple, but for deep peo­ple.

—Richard J. Foster 


From my journal today:

I have so much abundance. I have all the books, all the resources, the bible highlighters, the YouTube sermons, the view of trees outside my window, the comfortable bed to sit on, the knowledge at my fingertips, the light-bulb moments when I hit on a quote that seems to nail a profound concept with few words. The candle is lit upon my table. The light not too bright, not too dim, the climate is controlled and optimised for spiritual growth. Right? 

It's true, my body is comfortable and my mind is sparkling with ideas. Yet those ideas seems to fade and die almost as soon as they appear. Like butterflies caught and pinned to a page for closer observation, their life flickers out in this sterile, airless room. 
My heart is joyful with purpose, yet these feelings of joy seem to somehow numb deeper, realer, truer more vulnerable emotions.

I remember when I only had one small beat up old Bible. 
There was no padding, no extra comforts, no bells and whistles, no pretty views, no external extras. There was no one to speak to, to write to but God. There was no alter to worship at but God's. 

During my quiet time this morning this verse stood out for me.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19

Jesus was always so economical with words.

I wrote a list of what my treasures seem to be according to where my heart is. 
  • Hoarding my thoughts into journals, blogs, pinterest boards, instagram.
  • Furnishing my life with entertainment, hobbies, distractions.
  • Eating good food
  • Time alone 
  • Physical comfort
  • Security
  • Nature
  • Beauty
  • Things I create

What I want my treasures to be and where I want my heart to be.
  • Walking with The Lord
  • Trusting The Lord
  • Loving
  • Forgiving
  • Giving
  • Hope
  • Faith
  • Prayer
  • Praise
  • Thankfulness
  • The Freedom of having my Identity in Christ Alone
  • Mercy
  • Compassion
  • Trust
  • Self Giving Love
  • Peace
  • Seeing Everything as a Gift
  • To Follow Jesus and Carry my Cross
Moth, rust and thieves can't destroy or take these things.

It seems that God makes himself present to us, more often than not in the barrenness of the desert and the wilderness of our poverty.

He came to Hagar when she was alone and hopeless in the desert.

He led Jesus to the desert before His ministry started.

He led the Israelite's through the desert before they could reach the promised land.

The desert is quiet, barren, there seems to be nothing there. It's stillness, silence and poverty. In the desert we can't provide for ourselves. We come to the end of ourselves. Yet God makes many promises about the desert in His Word.

Isaiah 35

The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad; the desert shall rejoice and blossom like the rose and the autumn crocus.

It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice even with joy and singing. The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it, the excellency of [Mount] Carmel and [the plain] of Sharon. They shall see the glory of the Lord, the majesty and splendor and excellency of our God.

Strengthen the weak hands and make firm the feeble and tottering knees.

Say to those who are of a fearful and hasty heart, Be strong, fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance; with the recompense of God He will come and save you.

Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.

Then shall the lame man leap like a hart, and the tongue of the dumb shall sing for joy. For waters shall break forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert.

And the burning sand and the mirage shall become a pool, and the thirsty ground springs of water; in the haunt of jackals, where they lay resting, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.

And a highway shall be there, and a way; and it shall be called the Holy Way. The unclean shall not pass over it, but it shall be for the redeemed; the wayfaring men, yes, the simple ones and fools, shall not err in it and lose their way.

No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it; they shall not be found there. But the redeemed shall walk on it.

10 And the ransomed of the Lord shall return and come to Zion with singing, and everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Song of Songs 8:5-7

Who is this who comes up from the wilderness leaning upon her beloved? [And as they sighted the home of her childhood, the bride said] Under the apple tree I awakened you; there your mother gave you birth, there she was in travail and bore you.

Set me like a seal upon your heart, like a seal upon your arm; for love is as strong as death, jealousy is as hard and cruel as Sheol (the place of the dead). Its flashes are flashes of fire, a most vehement flame [the very flame of the Lord]!

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man would offer all the goods of his house for love, he would be utterly scorned and despised.

And finally, my favourite passage in the whole of the old testament:

Hosea 2:14-23

14 Therefore, behold, I will allure her [Israel] and bring her into the wilderness, and I will speak tenderly and to her heart.

15 There I will give her her vineyards and make the Valley of Achor [troubling] to be for her a door of hope and expectation. And she shall sing there and respond as in the days of her youth and as at the time when she came up out of the land of Egypt.

18 And in that day will I make a covenant for Israel with the living creatures of the open country and with the birds of the heavens and with the creeping things of the ground. And I will break the bow and the sword and [abolish battle equipment and] conflict out of the land and will make you lie down safely.

19 And I will betroth you to Me forever; yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and justice, in steadfast love, and in mercy.

20 I will even betroth you to Me in stability and in faithfulness, and you shall know (recognize, be acquainted with, appreciate, give heed to, and cherish) the Lord.

21 And in that day I will respond, says the Lord; I will respond to the heavens [which ask for rain to pour on the earth], and they shall respond to the earth [which begs for the rain it needs],

22 And the earth shall respond to the grain and the wine and the oil [which beseech it to bring them forth], and these shall respond to Jezreel [restored Israel, who prays for a supply of them].

23 And I will sow her for Myself anew in the land, and I will have love, pity, and mercy for her who had not obtained love, pity, and mercy; and I will say to those who were not My people, You are My people, and they shall say, You are my God!



Comments

Popular Posts