How does the Internet effect us spiritually - some thoughts - Are we building a Tower of Babel?




But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices. - Psalm 81


The use of the word devices is interesting as our tech is called devices.


These are spiritually perilous times. Our attention is constantly being caught by the inter- Net. The World Wide Web. Tele - Vision - Programming.


So many distractions. So many ideas and belief systems to navigate. So many paths to follow. So many things to be and do. So much stuff to buy. So many places to go. So many things to say. It’s seductive. It’s intoxicating. It’s like a fairground for the mind with many attractions and diversions. 



But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. - Matthew 7:13-14


Jesus is the gate


I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. - John 10:9


Jesus is the way


Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6


It seems like we are being compelled to consume so much knowledge. It’s not even hidden. Just look at Apples logo and think of the tree of knowledge in Genesis. 

Knowledge is not the same as wisdom. One leads to pride, the other to humility. 

Knowledge is only good when used to serve God.


At that time Jesus answered and said: I confess to thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them to the little ones. - Matthew 11:25


I often think of what Native American activist John Trudell said:

.

Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten. 

The past is more than a memory. 

It's like there is this predator energy on this planet, and this predator energy feeds on the essence of the spirit.’


This predator energy can take fossil fuel and other resources out of the Earth, turn it into fuel, to run a machine system. But in order for there to be a need for that system, and in order for that system to work, they have to mine our minds to get at the essence of our spirit.’


This quote reminds me of all the data the internet collects on us. And how when you look at all the connections visually it looks a bit like a big brain.



Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith - Peter 5: 8-10


God is trying to protect us. We are like silly sheep who run toward the cliff edge without knowing it.


Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. - Proverbs 3:5-6


I struggle with all these things too. It’s a battle. I’ve put this post together not to condemn but to consider and to pray over. 

Jesus is our guide not other people. 

Although I’ve compiled these thoughts I would ask that you seek God. Go to the secret place of prayer. Wait on The Father. Ask Him for discernment. 

He is a Good Father. He only wants what is best for us. Trust in Him.  


I know I want to spend more time with him than my phone. He should be our centre and source. 

We go to the Internet for refreshment but it’s a false refreshment. He is our living water. Our source of true refreshment.

.


Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life. - John 4:14


On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. John 7:37:39






Comments

Popular Posts