The Dark Night of the Soul - The testing - and prayer



Jesus in The Garden of Gethsemene

He understands our suffering. 


Mary Magdalene sees Jesus as The Gardener after His resurrection 

Though we lost the garden of Eden through sin. Through Jesus we regain paradise.



During this difficult time in my life I have found myself being given two choices. Either to seek respite in the world or respite in God.

It is as if God is calling me to be closer to Him than ever, to cling to Him, to rely on Him for everything. 

There have been times when I’ve got so caught up in my struggles, I’ve been confused. I’ve asked why? I’ve not felt God’s presence in the way I used to. 

It is a call to trust God at a deeper level.

Don’t let fear or pain take you away from The Father.

Always remember God is Good. No matter what. 

He is the strength. He gives manna in the secret place. A strange food. A food strange to our senses but one  that fulfils and satisfies the depths of our being. 

We have to seek Him, not the world when we struggle. We have to trust Him, not dwell on our fears.

When we walk through the fire and the waters He is with us.

Here is an article that writes clearly of what it is to be tested.

Here is a beautiful video of strengthening and comforting Bible verses. I’ve been listening to it a lot recently. 

Here is some beautiful music that I often play to accompany prayer.

Finally, I recommend that those who feel they are struggling to feel God’s presence during trials look into Saint John of the Cross’s writings on The Dark Night of The Soul. There are lots of commentaries on this too which can be really helpful for understanding what might be happening at a deeper level.

One such commentary is The Ordinary Path to Holiness by R Thomas Richard.



Comments

Popular Posts